Congratulations! You made it! I hope that you learned something new in this hands-on lab. This lab went through:
- Why we need versioning
- How to automate it
- Why automating saves us so much time and frustrations
- New design patterns
- How to make a reusable utility file
- and so much more
If you have any questions or just want to discuss what we did, reach out in the Pro Forums. I’m here to help you.
In Part 2 of the Better Asset Versioning series, let's dive into how to remove the query strings, i.e. the ?ver=1.0.0 from the static resources. Static resources are the scripts, fonts, styles that we enqueue. When you run speed tests on sites like Pingdom, a common ding to the performance score is this very topic. Let's build a plugin that removes the query string and places it inline as part of the static URL.
Check out the WordPress Fundamentals Library for more hands-on labs, insights, Docx, and more.
Check out the series page for more labs: Better Resource (Asset) Versioning Series
If you listen carefully, you can hear the 1s and 0s flowing in your computer.
Total Lab Runtime: 02:27:07
- 1 Lab Introductionfree 11:19
- 2 Why is Version Number Necessary?free 16:30
- 3 Version Numbering Schemepro 06:47
- 4 Forget Hard Coding Version Numberpro 15:02
- 5 Forget Hard Coding - Grab Stylesheet's Versionpro 05:19
- 6 Forget Hard Coding - Genesispro 05:17
- 7 Load the Theme's Minified Stylesheetpro 10:23
- 8 Strategy Session: Minified or Full for Theme Versionpro 12:25
- 9 Load the Minified Stylesheet in Genesispro 05:04
- 10 Refactor to Improve Our Codepro 11:20
- 11 Applying It to Scriptspro 18:14
- 12 Apply it to Scripts - Genesispro 09:13
- 13 Convert into Utility File - for Reusepro 14:30
- 14 Wrap it Upfree 05:44