Before we go any further, let’s talk about version numbering scheme. There is no best practice or set standard that all must adhere to. Rather, each group, company, or team needs to define and standardize their version numbering system.
WordPress uses a three sequence numbering scheme: 4.8.1, where the third sequence is a minor release. I recommend that you read this document, especially if you are going to work in Core.
Other libraries, frameworks, and applications define and use their own numbering scheme.
Take a look at Wikipedia’ Software versioning article. Quickly you’l notice that there are multiple strategies that could be used. Sometimes teams use 4 or 5 sequence numbers. Sometimes they use a product sequence system.
The point is: the version numbering system you use needs to be defined for your team and you.
If you are building products (themes and/or plugins), I’d suggest using the WordPress system of three sequence numbers for your releases. But when you’re in development or debug mode, use the asset file’s modification time. I’ll show that to you in the next episode.
If you are building custom websites, you can use anything you want. I use the asset file’s modification time. My stuff is custom for me and for these labs.
Pick a strategy and stick with it.
Hands off the keyboard. Web development starts by thinking first, then planning it out, and then coding it.
Total Lab Runtime: 02:27:07
- 1 Lab Introductionfree 11:19
- 2 Why is Version Number Necessary?free 16:30
- 3 Version Numbering Schemepro 06:47
- 4 Forget Hard Coding Version Numberpro 15:02
- 5 Forget Hard Coding - Grab Stylesheet's Versionpro 05:19
- 6 Forget Hard Coding - Genesispro 05:17
- 7 Load the Theme's Minified Stylesheetpro 10:23
- 8 Strategy Session: Minified or Full for Theme Versionpro 12:25
- 9 Load the Minified Stylesheet in Genesispro 05:04
- 10 Refactor to Improve Our Codepro 11:20
- 11 Applying It to Scriptspro 18:14
- 12 Apply it to Scripts - Genesispro 09:13
- 13 Convert into Utility File - for Reusepro 14:30
- 14 Wrap it Upfree 05:44