Right now our Custom Module is embedded within the Collapsible Content plugin. When is that the right decision versus building a standalone central plugin?
You will have projects that need more than one custom post type. And these new types may not be related. That means the architecture dedicates separate plugins. FAQ is part of the Collapsible Content. But a Portfolio feature does not relate to the Collapsible Content. Therefore, it would require its own plugin. A testimonial feature is another solid example of an additional custom plugin.
Each of these plugins needs the Custom Module. In this use case, it makes sense to build a central plugin. This plugin serves as a parent or central customization repository. The other plugins extend off of it in order to utilize its services.
In our project, the client merely wants the Collapsible Content features. There will not be other custom plugins. Therefore, this project is a solid use case for embedding the Custom Module.
Hold on – Where’s the Central Customization Repository Plugin?
We’re not building a standalone central customization repository plugin in this lab. But worry not, as we will in the future.
Your functions are bloated. Put them on a diet. Think "skinny" and "as few lines as possible."
Total Lab Runtime: 06:04:21
- 1 Lab Introductionfree 07:43
- 2 What is Reusable?free 18:07
- 3 Modular in ModularConfiguration Architecturepro 15:12
- 4 Configuration in ModularConfiguration Architecturepro 12:31
- 5 Creating Configuration Repositorypro 05:14
- 6 Planning it Outpro 12:26
- 7 Build the FAQ Custom Post Type Configpro 09:10
- 8 Loading the Config Filepro 04:29
- 9 Building Custom Post Type Generatorpro 12:24
- 10 Generate Post Type Supported Featurespro 16:41
- 11 Generate Post Type Labelspro 14:45
- 12 Test it Outpro 16:26
- 13 Custom Post Type Generator - Registrationpro 13:33
- 14 Rewrite Rulespro 14:05
- 15 Reusable Rewrite Rules Handlerpro 08:15
- 16 Custom Module - Embed or Standalone?pro 07:22
- 17 Build the Topic Taxonomy Configpro 06:58
- 18 Reusable Taxonomy Generatorpro 10:19
- 19 Auditing the Custom Labelspro 18:10
- 20 Refactoring the Label Generatorpro 09:32
- 21 Specify Certain Labels Optionpro 10:10
- 22 Link the FAQ into the Taxonomy Generatorpro 10:28
- 23 Move Config to FAQ Modulepro 04:58
- 24 Test the Taxonomypro 13:30
- 25 Plan out the Shortcodespro 09:25
- 26 Starting the Shortcode Boilerplatepro 14:53
- 27 Build the Shortcodes Configurationspro 15:30
- 28 Registering Shortcode with Custom Modulepro 18:54
- 29 Shortcode Configuration Storepro 08:25
- 30 Test the Shortcodespro 11:32
- 31 Wrap it Up, Review, and Commit Changespro 13:14