Let’s talk about and plan what we are going to do in this lab. We want to build a central repository, some module, that will be responsible for generating and registering post types, taxonomies, and shortcodes.
There are different strategies for building a central repository:
- You can build a central plugin, such as Fulcrum1.
- Build a package and then publish it on Packagist. Then you’d use Composer to include it into your plugin.
- Or you can build a module and place it into one of your plugins for the project.
1Fulcrum is currently being rebuilt with some new goodies in it. Plus, it will be fully documented. I’ll create labs for you too to use it for yourself….later.
In this lab, you will build a module within our plugin.
Laying out the architecture
Let’s lay out our general architecture for our new central repository module. In this episode, you will start laying out the files and architecture, as we talk through the plan.
Keep It Simple, Stupid (KISS) - the best kiss you'll get in code.
Total Lab Runtime: 06:04:21
- 1 Lab Introductionfree 07:43
- 2 What is Reusable?free 18:07
- 3 Modular in ModularConfiguration Architecturepro 15:12
- 4 Configuration in ModularConfiguration Architecturepro 12:31
- 5 Creating Configuration Repositorypro 05:14
- 6 Planning it Outpro 12:26
- 7 Build the FAQ Custom Post Type Configpro 09:10
- 8 Loading the Config Filepro 04:29
- 9 Building Custom Post Type Generatorpro 12:24
- 10 Generate Post Type Supported Featurespro 16:41
- 11 Generate Post Type Labelspro 14:45
- 12 Test it Outpro 16:26
- 13 Custom Post Type Generator - Registrationpro 13:33
- 14 Rewrite Rulespro 14:05
- 15 Reusable Rewrite Rules Handlerpro 08:15
- 16 Custom Module - Embed or Standalone?pro 07:22
- 17 Build the Topic Taxonomy Configpro 06:58
- 18 Reusable Taxonomy Generatorpro 10:19
- 19 Auditing the Custom Labelspro 18:10
- 20 Refactoring the Label Generatorpro 09:32
- 21 Specify Certain Labels Optionpro 10:10
- 22 Link the FAQ into the Taxonomy Generatorpro 10:28
- 23 Move Config to FAQ Modulepro 04:58
- 24 Test the Taxonomypro 13:30
- 25 Plan out the Shortcodespro 09:25
- 26 Starting the Shortcode Boilerplatepro 14:53
- 27 Build the Shortcodes Configurationspro 15:30
- 28 Registering Shortcode with Custom Modulepro 18:54
- 29 Shortcode Configuration Storepro 08:25
- 30 Test the Shortcodespro 11:32
- 31 Wrap it Up, Review, and Commit Changespro 13:14