Congratulations! You just built a custom real-world WordPress plugin. You did from scratch. While you can use this plugin for all of your projects and even extend it, this lab gave you so much more. You learned some of these valuable coding knowledge:
- Custom plugin – writing it from scratch
- Unregister callbacks
- Investigate a theme
- Clean code
- Software principles
All of these, especially the last two, are essential to you as a software developer. This lab gave you knowledge and skills that you will use in everything you do. It is adaptable then to all of your work.
I advise you to go back and do this lab again. This lab is not just about building a single use-case plugin. No, it’s about helping you to learn how to build anything in code. It serves to help further your skills.
A few notes for you now that you have a completed plugin:
- When using the plugin on a live site, make sure you run the following command before pushing it to the live site:
composer update --no-dev.
- Want to know more options for Composer, check this out.
Excellent job! You learned an incredible amount of knowledge about programming, clean code, WordPress, Genesis, SQL, PHP, Databases, and so much more. Way to Go!
Hey... hey you... yes you!... Having a good time? Learning new things? Good!
Total Lab Runtime: 02:56:19
- 1 Lab Introductionfree 03:25
- 2 Plugin Architecturefree 04:59
- 3 Convert the Basic WordPress Plugin into a Blog Intro Pluginbasic 11:46
- 4 Turn on the Editorbasic 12:47
- 5 How Does WordPress Turn off the Editor?pro 12:00
- 6 Locating Where to Insert the Content in Your Themebasic 07:34
- 7 Genesis Posts Page Archivepro 09:39
- 8 Genesis Before Loop Event genesis_before_looppro 05:11
- 9 Render (Display) the Contentsbasic 06:01
- 10 How to Ensure It's Posts Page?basic 12:05
- 11 Let's Look in Core at is_homepro 11:41
- 12 Refactor Getting the Posts Pagebasic 08:58
- 13 Let's Look in Core at get_post - Part 1pro 13:42
- 14 Let's Look in Core at get_post - Part 2pro 04:10
- 15 Sanitize the Contentspro 10:14
- 16 Sanitize with get_postpro 10:56
- 17 Prepare the Contents for the Browserbasic 05:18
- 18 Building the HTML View Filebasic 09:32
- 19 Master Tip: Why Use a View?pro 05:01
- 20 Remove Genesis Page Titlebasic 05:12
- 21 Master Tip: How Did I Know to Use after_theme_setup?pro 02:37
- 22 Wrap it Upfree 03:31