The Loop is a vital component in WordPress, as it handles building and rendering out the content onto the page. The Genesis framework handles the loop for you, as well as providing you with the hooks you need to customize each theme for your client. In this lab, you will be diving into the loop structure, looking at the entry header, title areas, entry content, post info, post meta, and more. This lab is Part 5 of the Developer’s Guide to Customizing Genesis.
This lab will focus on the standard loop and all of its events and components. You will dive deep into the framework, reverse engineer it, and customize the various components to help you maximize your customization savvy. This is a two part lab, as there is much to cover. You can access Part 2 here.
In order to do this lab, you will need to have completed:
- Part 1 Overview Lab
- Part 2 Markup & Wraps
- Part 3a Header Lab
- Part 3b Customizing the Genesis Site Header
This lab is intended for Professional Developers. You will be in the codebase, reverse engineering the actual code itself in order to really know it. It will require some PHP and WordPress knowledge. However, I will point out the Docx articles for the various language constructs in the event something doesn’t quite make sense for you. If you are a beginner, you can work slowly, go to the Docx and learn each construct, and then rewind when necessary. If you’ve been building custom sites from scratch for awhile, then you can fast forward the bits that bore you.
Required Skill Level
This lab has stuff for everyone. For the beginner, you get a solid hands-on experience in PHP, WordPress, and Genesis. For the pro, you get all of that plus you get to learn about clean, quality coding, how to think about code, and how to find what you’re looking for in the codebase.
When was the last time you got out of your chair and stretched? Just saying…
Total Lab Runtime: 02:26:17
- 1 Lab Introductionfree 06:09
- 2 What the heck is The Loop?free 14:29
- 3 Calling the Loop Overviewpro 06:51
- 4 Genesis Do Custom Loop - Part 1pro 12:37
- 5 Genesis Do Custom Loop - Part 2pro 09:51
- 6 Standard Loop Overview - Part 1pro 08:30
- 7 Standard Loop Overview - Part 2pro 10:34
- 8 Standard Loop and WordPress Corepro 11:29
- 9 Before the Loop Hook - genesis_before_whilepro 11:38
- 10 Before the Entry Hook - genesis_before_entrypro 06:10
- 11 Entry Header Hook - genesis_entry_headerpro 17:38
- 12 Entry Header - Post Title - Part 1pro 13:07
- 13 Entry Header - Post Title - Part 2pro 07:48
- 14 Entry Header - Post Infopro 09:26
This is the second part of the Loop. In this lab, you will explore how the remaining portion of the loop in Genesis works as well as how to customize it. You will dig into the entry content, footer, and after entry components.
Check out the Genesis Theming Framework for more hands-on labs, insights, Docx, and more.
Check out the series page for more labs: Developer’s Guide to Customizing Genesis