First, you and I will finish the migration of the Customizer CSS file, as I failed to finish it in the video. Then we’ll activate and test your new modular WordPress Genesis developer’s starter theme.
Congratulations! You just migrated over all the PHP files from the starter theme and loaded it into your new modular architecture. WooHoo! Way to go!I just migrated the #GenesisWP Sample theme into a Modular Developer's theme. Click To Tweet
Excellent job! You should be very proud of yourself! You learned a lot of new concepts of modularity, clean code, refactoring, namespacing, and how to migrate the
functions.php trashcan over into a modular architecture. I’m very proud of you! Way to Go!
Stylesheets by their very nature do not comply with clean, quality principles as everything is one gigantic file that is filled with redundancies. It's inefficient and error-prone to work with a stylesheet. But just like what you learned in Part 1, the stylesheets can be broken up into modules and partials using Sass. In this lab, you will take your first steps to working with Sass by splitting up the Genesis starter theme's stylesheet and converting it to Sass.
Check out the Genesis Theming Framework for more hands-on labs, insights, Docx, and more.
Check out the series page for more labs: Let’s Build a Custom Developer’s Genesis Starter Child Theme
Your functions are bloated. Put them on a diet. Think "skinny" and "as few lines as possible."
Total Lab Runtime: 03:59:03
- 1 Lab Introductionfree 05:01
- 2 What the Heck is Modularity?free 13:12
- 3 The Why of Clean Codefree 12:47
- 4 Laying Out the Theme's Architecture - Part 1pro 09:04
- 5 Laying Out the Theme's Architecture - Part 2pro 10:34
- 6 Slicing Up the Sample Theme's functions.phppro 06:44
- 7 Initialization Tasks - Theme Constantspro 14:47
- 8 Initialization Tasks - Directory Constantspro 05:49
- 9 Setup Taskspro 38:00
- 10 Refactoring Theme Supportspro 08:01
- 11 Refactoring Image Sizespro 03:52
- 12 Genesis Structural Componentspro 05:10
- 13 Load Assets (Enqueue)pro 05:56
- 14 Theme Customizer Filespro 15:43
- 15 Theme Settings Defaultspro 06:34
- 16 Autoload Modulespro 11:19
- 17 Unregister Default Genesis Callbackspro 00:00
- 18 Test & Wrap it Uppro 06:30