Our plugin is now converting the stylesheet and script’s URL by embedding the version number into the filename. But did you notice that the assets are not loading? Why? The filenames do not exist on the web server’s hard drive. Therefore, the web server cannot find the asset and serve it up to the browser.
How do we fix that problem? We need to add a rewrite rule for our Apache or Nginx server to remove that version number before WordPress runs. Let’s do that now.
Your best friend is code, Tonya is making the introductions.
Total Lab Runtime: 03:18:22
- 1 Lab Introductionfree 09:30
- 2 What is a URL Query String?free 14:36
- 3 The Intent of ?ver=1.0.0free 12:22
- 4 Understanding the Problemfree 14:01
- 5 Cache Busting Strategiesfree 09:57
- 6 Planning Our Pluginpro 18:17
- 7 Versioning Utility Helper Filepro 08:36
- 8 Start the URL Converter Classpro 18:11
- 9 Hook into WordPresspro 11:57
- 10 Regex or Parse the URL?pro 12:30
- 11 Convert with Regexpro 06:10
- 12 Apache and Nginx Rewrite Rulespro 10:43
- 13 Deciding Whether to Convertpro 07:35
- 14 Skip When No Version Query Stringpro 09:18
- 15 Only the Local Assetspro 14:09
- 16 Improving Our Code & Readabilitypro 11:52
- 17 Test, Fine-Tune, and Wrap it Uppro 08:38