Cache Busting Strategies
Lab: Remove Query String from Static Resource URL
Video Runtime: 09:57
Now you understand what a query string is, why WordPress uses it for the version, and why it’s a problem. Now, let’s talk about different strategies to ensure we get the benefits of cache busting.
In order to bust through the cache, we MUST change the static URL of the asset/resource. Every time that file changes, its URL must change too.
The strategies are:
- Use a CDN. This is your best strategy for performance.
- Make sure that all asset resources that you enqueue or load into the DOM have a version assigned to them. ALL of them. Let WordPress handle changing the static URL.
- Place the assets into a folder that is named by the version number.
- Embed the version number into the static URL.
Your best friend is code, Tonya is making the introductions.
Total Lab Runtime: 03:18:22
- 1 Lab Introductionfree 09:30
- 2 What is a URL Query String?free 14:36
- 3 The Intent of ?ver=1.0.0free 12:22
- 4 Understanding the Problemfree 14:01
- 5 Cache Busting Strategiesfree 09:57
- 6 Planning Our Pluginpro 18:17
- 7 Versioning Utility Helper Filepro 08:36
- 8 Start the URL Converter Classpro 18:11
- 9 Hook into WordPresspro 11:57
- 10 Regex or Parse the URL?pro 12:30
- 11 Convert with Regexpro 06:10
- 12 Apache and Nginx Rewrite Rulespro 10:43
- 13 Deciding Whether to Convertpro 07:35
- 14 Skip When No Version Query Stringpro 09:18
- 15 Only the Local Assetspro 14:09
- 16 Improving Our Code & Readabilitypro 11:52
- 17 Test, Fine-Tune, and Wrap it Uppro 08:38