Let’s tame git. Let’s create a rich set of commands and shortcuts that make sense and are intuitive. Let’s build a set of scripts that are callable by a single command, such as
git uncommit or
git rollback, i.e. commands that wrap up repetitive tasks and automate them via a single command. In this hands-on coding lab, you’ll build a rich collection of these commands via git aliases and bash scripting to git you more productive.
FACT: Git commands are weird.
FACT: Git forces you to type too much.
FACT: Your tools should support the way you like to work, require very little effort from you, and make you better and faster.
Let’s make git easier
and minimize the steps in your workflow!
We can tame git and build a rich set of commands that make your job and workflow so much easier. In this lab, you and I will walk through shortcut commands that I use all the time, many of which you will use too. You’ll configure aliases (shortcuts) for each and discover ways to make yourself more productive with git.
This hands-on lab is all about taming git, making commands more usable and intuitive, and automating redundant, repetitive tasks.
Before you get started in this lab, we recommend the following labs in the Git Empowered series:
When was the last time you got out of your chair and stretched? Just saying…
Total Lab Runtime: 01:57:49
- 1 Lab Introductionfree 03:20
- 2 Alias - Display the Graphical Logfree 04:24
- 3 Delete or Rename an Aliaspro 03:00
- 4 Alias - Display the Last Commit's Logpro 02:16
- 5 Alias - Display Less Verbose Statuspro 05:32
- 6 !f() - Build Complex Aliasespro 10:43
- 7 Prep for Complex Aliasespro 05:43
- 8 Alias - Stage All Changespro 07:26
- 9 Alias - Unstage All Changespro 03:28
- 10 Alias - Unstage a Specific Change or Allpro 08:53
- 11 Alias - Commit All Changes from Working and Stagingpro 08:55
- 12 Alias - Uncommit Last Commitpro 04:12
- 13 Alias - Reword (Fix) Last Commit Messagepro 05:42
- 14 Alias - Reword (Fix) Last Commit Message Without Adding WIPpro 10:35
- 15 Alias - Add New Changes to Last Commit & Keep Messagepro 05:00
- 16 Alias - Rollback to Last Commitpro 07:01
- 17 Alias - Create and Checkout New Branchpro 02:31
- 18 Alias - Delete Local and Remote Branchpro 09:23
- 19 Alias - Rename Current Branchpro 04:46
- 20 Wrap it Uppro 04:59
Ever wondering how git actually works? It's a tool that you use every day. How are the commit hashes being generated? How does it keep track of everything? In this hands-on coding lab, you will dive into git bits by taking a look inside of git's internals.
Check out the Local Development Environment & Workflow for more hands-on labs, insights, Docx, and more.
Check out the series page for more labs: Git Empowered Series