You hear about the WordPress Loop all the time. But what is it, without getting too deep down into the rabbit hole? Let’s talk about how WordPress assembles the information to prepare it for The Loop and then how the theme executes The Loop. Don’t worry as this is an overview of the process and handling without going too technically deep into all of the how tos. But you will learn about the why of it as well as answering the question: What the heck is The Loop? By the end of this one, you should have a good handle of it at a 30,000 foot view.
By the way, in the theme, i.e. in Genesis, it handles looping through the query using the PHP construct
while. I encourage you to go and watch the Docx videos to understand how and why the
while works. It will help you not only in understanding the WordPress Loop, but also in your own code when you want to loop through some code.
Your functions are bloated. Put them on a diet. Think "skinny" and "as few lines as possible."
Total Lab Runtime: 02:26:17
- 1 Lab Introductionfree 06:09
- 2 What the heck is The Loop?free 14:29
- 3 Calling the Loop Overviewpro 06:51
- 4 Genesis Do Custom Loop - Part 1pro 12:37
- 5 Genesis Do Custom Loop - Part 2pro 09:51
- 6 Standard Loop Overview - Part 1pro 08:30
- 7 Standard Loop Overview - Part 2pro 10:34
- 8 Standard Loop and WordPress Corepro 11:29
- 9 Before the Loop Hook - genesis_before_whilepro 11:38
- 10 Before the Entry Hook - genesis_before_entrypro 06:10
- 11 Entry Header Hook - genesis_entry_headerpro 17:38
- 12 Entry Header - Post Title - Part 1pro 13:07
- 13 Entry Header - Post Title - Part 2pro 07:48
- 14 Entry Header - Post Infopro 09:26