Let’s talk about the goals of this lab and what we are going to do. This is a gentle introduction to PHP for WordPress theme customizers, theme developers, plugin developers, and anyone who wants to get a basic understanding of the PHP programming language.
In this episode, you’ll walk through setting up the test website that you’ll use in this lab. We’ll call this site:
I’ll walk you through using DesktopServer, which is the local web server. You can download the free version to use in this lab. It literally takes about 60 seconds to spin up the new website.
You’ll need to install the Kint PHP Debugger plugin, which is available in the WordPress Plugin Repository. Or if you prefer to setup your local environment, you can follow this article in the Help Center. The content is free also.
Break. Go rest your noodle for a couple of minutes.
Total Lab Runtime: 03:21:32
- 1 Lab Introductionfree 11:37
- 2 What is PHP? Why use it?free 17:49
- 3 Why and how does WordPress use PHP?free 07:33
- 4 Syntax Basicsfree 18:34
- 5 What's the deal with Variables?free 27:05
- 6 Break Up Code into Logical Partsfree 07:55
- 7 Subroutines - Behold the functionfree 14:11
- 8 Loading Files to Runfree 13:20
- 9 To Run or Not to Run - Making Decisionsfree 19:07
- 10 Sequencing - Yup, code runs in orderfree 06:16
- 11 Repeating code using Loopsfree 13:57
- 12 Building Strings with Dots and Variablesfree 15:10
- 13 What's the deal with scope?free 08:34
- 14 Naming Stufffree 06:18
- 15 Putting it All Togetherfree 08:33
- 16 Where do I go from here?free 05:33