As I told you before, the key is to read code. The more code that you read, the more you’ll learn and grow. The skills you gained in this lab empowered you to be able read the basic structure of themes and plugins. No, you might not be able to understand all of the code. But you can see the patterns.
You’ll see the functions and know the basics of how they are defined and called. You’ll know that some can accept information to work on while others don’t need anything. You’ll see default parameters defined and know how that works.
When you come to decision-based code, you’ll know that the code block only runs if the decision is
You’ll recognize more quickly when you get a syntax parsing error, as we went over the basics.
You learned that variables have scope and that means functions can only talk with their variables. You know how to bring a global variable into a function.
You know that variables are placeholders to represent some information. You know how to assign a value to a variable.
In this epsiode, you saw WordPress event hook registration functions, i.e.
add_filter. Here is a lab that will help you to master these and understand not only how they work, but why you use them. I also included the library for you too.
You will grow in this profession when you incrementally and systematically stretch yourself....bit-by-bit.
Total Lab Runtime: 03:21:32
- 1 Lab Introductionfree 11:37
- 2 What is PHP? Why use it?free 17:49
- 3 Why and how does WordPress use PHP?free 07:33
- 4 Syntax Basicsfree 18:34
- 5 What's the deal with Variables?free 27:05
- 6 Break Up Code into Logical Partsfree 07:55
- 7 Subroutines - Behold the functionfree 14:11
- 8 Loading Files to Runfree 13:20
- 9 To Run or Not to Run - Making Decisionsfree 19:07
- 10 Sequencing - Yup, code runs in orderfree 06:16
- 11 Repeating code using Loopsfree 13:57
- 12 Building Strings with Dots and Variablesfree 15:10
- 13 What's the deal with scope?free 08:34
- 14 Naming Stufffree 06:18
- 15 Putting it All Togetherfree 08:33
- 16 Where do I go from here?free 05:33