Data is a big part of what you do, no matter which language you’re working with. In this lesson, we’ll talk about the different types of data type classifications.
Data Type Classifications
- Composite (e.g. array and collection)
- Special (e.g. enumerated)
- Abstract (e.g. list, objects)
Why are Data Type Classifications Important?
What are some of the reasons you need to know about these data types?
- You need to understand how the data is being computed. Knowing how each of these data types is represented helps you avoid unexpected results.
- What happens when you compare a floating point to an integer number?
- What is the result when adding a floating point to an integer?
- What is type-casting?
- Memory usage becomes very important when dealing with large amounts of data.
- Computers represent and map numbers based upon their type.
- Data is an essential element in software.
- Certain languages (e.g. C, Java, Pascal) require you to declare the data type.
Hands off the keyboard. Web development starts by thinking first, then planning it out, and then coding it.
Total Lab Runtime: 00:48:33