The abstract data type, or ADT, is a container whose properties (characteristics) and functionality are separate from the implementation. Let’s take about it.
What is abstract? Per Merriam-Webster:
- relating to or involving general ideas or qualities rather than specific people, objects, or actions
We’re separating the general from the specific.
What is an Abstract Data Type (ADT)
- Properties (data and functionality) are independent from an implementation
- View the type from the application’s (or user’s) perspective
- Model to “abstract” away complexity (abstraction)
- Designed specifically for the needs of a list
- Properties and functionality to track the list
- Properties: isThere
- Functionality: GetLength, Reset, GetNext, Delete, Insert
Object Data Type
What is an object?
Are they the same house? No, they are instances of the blueprint. They are separate objects.
There’s a time to code and …. yup, that sums it up.
Total Lab Runtime: 00:48:33