The abstract data type, or ADT, is a container whose properties (characteristics) and functionality are separate from the implementation. Let’s take about it.
What is abstract? Per Merriam-Webster:
- relating to or involving general ideas or qualities rather than specific people, objects, or actions
We’re separating the general from the specific.
What is an Abstract Data Type (ADT)
- Properties (data and functionality) are independent from an implementation
- View the type from the application’s (or user’s) perspective
- Model to “abstract” away complexity (abstraction)
- Designed specifically for the needs of a list
- Properties and functionality to track the list
- Properties: isThere
- Functionality: GetLength, Reset, GetNext, Delete, Insert
Object Data Type
What is an object?
Are they the same house? No, they are instances of the blueprint. They are separate objects.
You get WET when you swim. Stay DRY when you code.
Total Lab Runtime: 00:48:33