Testing is a critical component of your workflow, as it validates each piece of your code to ensure it works exactly as you intended. As a professional developer, testing is a skill that will set you a part and give you a competitive advantage in the marketplace. In this hands-on lab, you will be building unit and integration tests as you learn the basics of PHP testing.
What You Will Learn
In this hands-on lab, you will gently ease into testing. You’ll learn about:
- What testing is.
- Its many benefits that make you and your products/projects better.
- How to set up your testing environment.
- Basic testing elements including:
- What an “assertion” is and what it’s doing.
- The Test Case
- Test bootstrap
- Configuring the tests in the XML file.
- How to write a test that validates a single piece of your code.
- Different PHPUnit assertions available to you.
- The difference between unit and integration tests.
- Workflow shortcut – using Composer scripts to make running tests easier.
- and more
In order to do this lab, you will need:
- a local sandbox site spun up and ready to go (we’ll use this for the Integration Tests)
- Composer installed – for Mac or Windows
- a command line tool – I’m using PhpStorm for unit tests and iTerm2 for integration tests.
- your favorite code editor or IDE – I’m using PhpStorm.
Don’t repeat yourself. Don’t repeat yourself. Don’t repeat yourself.
Total Lab Runtime: 04:26:49
- 1 Lab Introductionfree 13:13
- 2 How Testing Benefits Youfree 27:00
- 3 What is Testing?free 10:24
- 4 Unit vs. Integration Testsfree 17:44
- 5 Setup the Testing Environmentpro 12:21
- 6 PHPUnit & a Virtual Containerpro 08:37
- 7 Create the Composer.json Filepro 14:36
- 8 Configure PHPUnit for Both Test Suitespro 10:56
- 9 Setup Test Shortcuts in Composerpro 09:58
- 10 Setup Local's Web Serverfree 10:05
- 11 Unit Tests - Bootstrappro 14:34
- 12 Test Basicspro 12:24
- 13 Test Assertionspro 18:42
- 14 Unit Tests - Write Real Testspro 23:32
- 15 Integration Bootstrap - Overviewfree 09:01
- 16 Integration Bootstrap - Find the WordPress Test Suite's Directorypro 12:10
- 17 Integration Bootstrap - Defining Constantspro 04:06
- 18 Integration Bootstrap - Register Theme & Loadpro 07:41
- 19 Meet WP_UnitTestCasepro 12:05
- 20 Integration Tests - Write Real Testspro 15:18
- 21 Wrap it Upfree 02:22
What to Do Next?
Unit Testing with Brain Monkey
How can you unit test your plugin or theme without WordPress or other dependencies? You simulate the dependencies. My favorite tool to redefine and mock functions is Brain Monkey. In this hands-on testing lab, you will write unit tests using Brain Monkey.
Check out the PHP Library for more hands-on labs, insights, Docx, and more.