Leveling up as a web developer begins with a firm foundation, one in which you can then incrementally build your skill sets. Far too many developers skip these fundamentals and jump right to changing this or that in a website. The intent of the Absolutely Beginner’s lab series is to provide you with a bunch of “Aha” moments where it just starts making sense for you.
You will be introduced to websites, browsers, and programming. Let’s talk about the roles of the various technologies and programming languages. You’ll also learn about the role of plugins and themes in relationship to a WordPress website.
What You Will Learn
This lab gives you a gentle introduction to:
- HTTP Protocol and how browser-to-server works
- How WordPress receives a page request and then processes it to build a web page
- Big picture overview of programming
- Themes verses Plugins – what goes where
Required Skill Level
This lab is for the beginner or anyone who needs to build his/her fundamental web development skills and knowledge. We assume that you do not know anything about web development and start at the beginning.
You will grow in this profession when you incrementally and systematically stretch yourself....bit-by-bit.
Total Lab Runtime: 02:18:22
- 1 Lab Introductionfree 06:50
- 2 When & Why of WordPressfree 08:03
- 3 Web Page Overviewfree 08:00
- 4 Web Page Requestfree 08:27
- 5 Convert Web Request into a Web Pagefree 09:48
- 6 The Website Filesfree 10:26
- 7 Rendering the Web Pagefree 15:34
- 8 Big Picture of Programmingfree 15:46
- 9 First Look at Codefree 13:19
- 10 Code Becomes a Web Pagefree 08:16
- 11 Intent of Themes vs. Pluginsfree 11:34
- 12 Intent of Each Language - HTML, CSS, JSfree 12:55
- 13 Intent of Each Language - PHP & SQLfree 05:15
- 14 Wrap it Upfree 04:09
What to Do Next?
Local Development Environment Setup for Mac
Your local web development environment is critical to your ability to efficiently produce high quality and well-tested software projects. This environment should be incredibly easy to use. It should support the way you work, making you better and faster while demanding very little of your time. In this hands-on lab, you will setup your local web development environment. It will include version control with Git, helper apps, package managers (Composer, Node, and npm), task runner with Gulp, local webserver, and a professional editor.
Check out the Web Development Library for more hands-on labs, insights, Docx, and more.
Check out the series page for more labs: Absolute Beginner Series