As developers, we need to build and process dynamic strings. Our code pulls in information from various sources, assembles it, and then renders it out to the browser. PHP provides a powerful function library to help us. In this hands-on lab, you will learn about the basics of PHP string building and processing.
What Will You Learn?
In this hands-on lab, you and I are going to ease into programming. You’ll learn about:
- Concatenating strings together
- Difference between
- Rendering strings out to the browser
- Checking for and finding substrings
- Replacing character or substrings
- Stripping out characters or entities
- Counting characters or length
- and more
You will be writing code in this lab. You’ll need to have a basic local web development set up and ready to go. You can refer to this article in the Help Center to set up your local sandbox test website.
Create a dummy post called “WordPress Rocks”. Then populate the content using this post with the content from this gist.
Hey... hey you... yes you!... Having a good time? Learning new things? Good!
Total Lab Runtime: 02:50:33
- 1 Lab Introductionfree 09:39
- 2 Embedding Variables in a Stringpro 15:16
- 3 Embedding Complex Variablespro 13:37
- 4 Concatenating Strings with a Dotpro 08:47
- 5 Concatenating and Assigning Shorthandpro 05:58
- 6 Formatting a String using Placeholderspro 15:16
- 7 Specifying Which Argument in a Formatted Stringpro 04:18
- 8 Has Substringpro 21:47
- 9 Replacing Substringspro 13:03
- 10 Get the String's Lengthpro 14:11
- 11 Character Set Encoding - It Matters!pro 11:42
- 12 Has Substring - for UTF-8pro 16:45
- 13 Replacing a UTF-8 Substringpro 05:56
- 14 Stripping out Characters or Entitiespro 10:51
- 15 Wrap it Upfree 03:27
Check out the PHP Library for more hands-on labs, insights, Docx, and more.