All languages use the same building blocks. All of them. Period. In this lab, you will learn these building blocks. You learn about syntax, branding, iteration, order of execution, decisions, abstraction, and scoping.
This lab is Part 3 of the Introduction to Computation and Programming series.
Before you start this lab, make sure that you have completed the following labs:
What you will learn in this series
- Fundamental building blocks of all programming languages
- Data types and user-friendly representations
- Syntax and semantics
- Control functionality including:
- Order of execution
Keep It Simple, Stupid (KISS) - the best kiss you'll get in code.
Total Lab Runtime: 02:17:55
- 1 Lab Introductionfree 06:21
- 2 User-Friendly Expression of Informationfree 22:42
- 3 Fundamentals of Syntaxfree 08:57
- 4 Decision Branching - if/then/elsefree 10:39
- 5 Decision Branching – switch/casefree 07:47
- 6 Basics of Iterationfree 14:14
- 7 Iteration in Practicefree 12:51
- 8 Order of Executionfree 10:55
- 9 Abstractionfree 11:45
- 10 Scoping – Who Can Communicate With Whomfree 31:44
In order to appreciate just how far this field has come, we need to step back in time and understand the evolution of computing and the computer. Understanding the roots and challenges of those who came before us will help you to visualize your role now and what is possible for the future. Besides, knowing some of the key technological advancements and the key contributors arms you with both perspective and talking points.
Check out the Web Development Library for more hands-on labs, insights, Docx, and more.
Check out the series page for more labs: Computer Science Bootcamps